James Ene Henshaw Playwriting Competition 2022
We’re looking for plays that capture the pulse and moments of contemporary Nigerian society; writing with a unique voice that speaks to current and future generations.
The competition is open to anyone between the ages of 18 and 35 years resident in Nigeria, for the best original play for the stage.
Submit your idea for a play in the first instance by completing the submission form, including a draft of the first 12 pages of your play, and send it to: email@example.com.
Closing date for submissions: 31st March 2022
Selected submissions will be invited for a series of workshops, 21 – 22 April 2022
5 candidates will be selected following the workshops to join the competition, and each successful candidate will be assigned a mentor to work with to produce a full-length play.
Successful candidates will be informed on 25th April 2022.
Each candidate will receive N100, 000. The best overall play will be awarded a further N150,000.
- Submissions are open to young people between the ages of 18 to 35 years.
- Submissions must be for the stage but may incorporate other art forms like dance, music, dance, poetry, and multimedia.
- Ideas must be original; interpretation of an existing piece of work already published may be accepted if it brings a fresh and unique perspective to the work.
- Plays must be able to demonstrate the potential to advance the career of the applicant, and/or contribute to the advancement of the art form.
- Plays should have no more than 6 characters, with a running time of between 60 and 90 minutes.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Participants are expected to work collaboratively with their mentors and make themselves available for advice and guidance.
- Participants must present their play before or on the deadline. No extensions will be accorded for any reason or circumstances whatsoever. Failure to submit by the closing day will render the writer disqualified.
- Each participant will receive N100, 000. This sum will be paid to the participant upon submission of the completed play script, and signed off by the mentor.
- The best play, as judged by a panel of judges, will be awarded an extra sum of N150, 000.
- Closing date for play proposals — 31 March 2022
- Invitation for workshops — 12 April 2022
- Workshops — 21 – 22 April 2022
- Notification of participation — 25 April 2022
- Assignments to mentors — 25 April 2022
- Submission of play scripts — 16 August 2022
- Online play readings — 16 – 20 August 2022
- Script submissions — 14 October 2022
- Notification of JEHF Playwriting Competition winner — 10 December 2022